Thursday, October 8, 2015

Week 7 Storytelling: Watto Loses Everything

Watto was from the planet Toydaria, and despite a difficult youth, he had managed to do well for himself.  Oringally, Watto had served as a soldier for the Ossiki Confederacy Army on his home planet.  After he returned home from war he expected to continue his father's business.  His father owned multiple businesses across the system, but the largest was a food producer known as Monsanta.  Monsanta farmed algae and fish for the Toydarians and had a near monopoly on the planet's food supply.  Instead, when Watto returned home, he discovered that his brother Datto was running the empire.  His father informed him that Watto would be given a small junk shop on the planet Tatooine.  Watto should have suspected as much.  His father had always favored his older brother.  He packed his things and took the next ship to Tatooine.

Watto would not let his father or brother stop him from acquiring fame and fortune.  He set about becoming the best junk dealer in the galaxy.  He began learning about trade from the local Jawas.  Before long, his junk shop was the most profitable on Tatooine.  Around this time he decided to join the slave trade.  He had an uncanny ability to choose the best slaves.  He even found a young boy by the name of Anakin who had a mechanical aptitude and boosted the productivity of his shop by nearly double.  Watto became very wealthy and very happy.  The business almost ran itself with Anakin there.

While everything was going well for Watto, Monsanta was going through a rough patch.  Datto was not nearly as competent as Watto.  In order to make himself feel better, Datto planned a trip to visit his brother.  Datto owned an empire while his brother had a measly junk shop.  However, to his surprise, when Datto arrived on Tatooine, he discovered that Watto was the wealthiest creature on the planet.  Datto grew jealous and hatred burned in his heart.  He decided that he would send his servant Shakuni to win everything from Watto in a gambling match.

If Watto had one weakness, it was gambling.  He loved to wager on the podraces.  Just before the biggest podrace of the year, two groups of foreigners came to Tatooine.  The first was Shakuni and his aides.  The second was Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn, Padme Amidala, and a strange Gungan named Jar Jar Binks. Qui-Gon Jinn claimed to have a podracer that he won in a game of chance.  He wanted Anakin to pilot it for him.  If Anakin won, Watto would keep the prize money.  If Anakin lost, Watto would keep Qui-Gon's ship.  It was too good to turn down.  Similarly, Shakuni offered him a deal that was too good to be true.  Watto bet Shakuni that the Dug Sebulba would win the race.

If Sebulba won, Watto would have been the wealthiest man in the system.  But instead Anakin won the race, and Watto lost everything.  Watto spent the rest of his days destitute and alone.


Watto
Original Image


Author's Note:  I watched Star Wars Episode I last night.  Like Yudhisthira, Watto's weakness is gambling.  While Watto is extremely different from Yudhisthira, I thought he would make a good character to retell Yudhisthira's story.

Bibliography:
"Mahabharata" by Peter Brook. Website: YouTube.

4 comments:

  1. As I was reading your story I had no idea Watto was from Star Wars, so I just thought you were very creative in selecting names for your stories. Now that I know Star Wars was your inspiration I want to say you did a very good job combining the two stories and I definitely see the connection between the two stories. Your story was also very well written. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carey, I really like how you wrote a Star Wars story! I got excited when I saw the name “Watto” in the title of your story. I’ve even done Star Wars style stories myself for my last two storytelling posts. It’s a lot of fun. Your story and the story of Watto’s gambling problem is great for retelling Yudhishthira’s story. I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Star Wars fan, I really loved reading this story. I thought it was pretty awesome and clever the way you blended the two plots and melded them together with Watto's weakness of gambling. I also liked that you used lots of character names and facts from the Star Wars movies so it felt more like I was reading a Star Wars story than an Indian Epics story, which was a pretty fun change up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd already commented on your introduction and I was curious when I read about your Star Wars inspired story. I'm so glad I read it! This was great and you did a fantastic job blending the two stories. This was a great connection and your storytelling was amazing, especially in such a short amount of space. I did a Lord of the Rings inspired story and I found it was one of the most fun to write. This was a great story! Well done!

    ReplyDelete