Sunday, August 30, 2015

Famous Last Words: Week 1

I was pleased how my map story turned out this week.  I originally attempted to retell a fable, but I could not find a story that I enjoyed retelling.  The map story gave me license to be creative and ridiculous.  It was a lot of fun being able to build on a story that I already developed, and the constraint of the map gave me direction.  I have a couple other characters in my back pocket that I am excited to write about this semester.

This week was a good first week of school.  Because of my online classes, I only have to attend lecture for 3 hours each afternoon, except Friday when I have no class.  The free time in the morning and the lack of lectures will give me more time to be productive.  With my extra time, I have enjoyed getting outside in the morning.  There is a Frisbee golf course in a park right next to my apartment so I started playing with my roommates.  I was terrible at the beginning, but I am already seeing improvement.  By the end of the semester, with the power of a Growth Mindset, I might be actually be proficient at the game.  In my introduction, I wrote about how I love to ride my bike.  This week, I put about 56 miles on my bicycle.  I also went to the Norman Farm Market, and I got to make a pot of chicken tikka masala.

Recently I watched an excellent TED video that reminded me of the Growth Mindset.  Matt Cutts talks about the power of trying something new for 30 days.  As my challenge, I am going to attempt to take a photo every day for the next month.

I took this photo of a mushroom at the Frisbee golf course during a morning round.  It might make a good setting for a future story.

Mushroom on the Frisbee Golf Course
Original Image

5 comments:

  1. Carey, I would never be able to ride my bike as far as you! It always amazes me when people say they road almost 60 miles on their bike that week! That is incredible! I should probably like exercise more. However, I do love food and that chicken tikka masala sounds pretty good! How cool that you can cook too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, Carey, I am 100% jealous that you only have to attend two classes over the course of the week. The picture of the mushroom you took is also really cool! I didn't realize we had a frisbee golf course in Norman either, I'll have to check that out. The mushroom could definitely make a cool setting for a story, and I might have to take some inspiration from that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really jealous of your schedule! Going to class definitely takes up time and so the free time that you have will allow you to get more done. The picture you took of the mushroom you took looks really cool! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carey, you have the most perfect schedule in the world. Why can't I have it? Please let's switch schedules. That's awesome that you're accepting the challenge for 30 days! That really inspired me to take on a challenge too! I just don't know what I will do yet. Is it possible for you to post the photos that you will be taking? I'm curious to see what they photos will be! On a final note, nice mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing about your week! It is evident that you have a wide range of passions and interests. My roommate also takes most of her classes online. Sometimes she loves it and sometimes she hates it, but it sounds like you’ve really figured out a schedule that works for you! Also, that’s an amazing picture… you must be quite the photographer!

    ReplyDelete