Thursday, August 27, 2015

Growth Mindset

This was the first time that I have heard about the Growth Mindset, but this attitude is something that I've noticed for a while.  People who are excited about the prospect of learning for its own sake are more successful learners.  In my own academic pursuits, I am often in the Growth Mindset.  I enjoy a challenge, and I seek to learn new things all the time.  Many people think that they don't have a particular talent and they can never be good at a particular task.  I prefer to think that there is nothing I am inherently bad at, I just haven't refined my skill yet.  This way of thinking is very exciting because everything is an opportunity to grow as a person.  I can also relate to the Giant Hairball of School.  School often becomes drudgery and I work only to get the grade.  However, I find that the motivation of grades helps me to push through the boring bits and allows me to get experience that I might not have been able to gain on my own.

I particularly like the reading and writing challenges in the list of Growth Mindset Challenges.  I like how it puts the Growth Mindset into practice by changing the learning environment and embracing differences.

Question Everything!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carey! Since I already commented on your introduction in a past assignment I will comment on your Growth Mindset. I totally agree with you that people who are more excited about learning actually learn better and get better grades as an outcome. I figured this out from on of my friends in my sophomore year. While a lot of the students were just drudging through the course, he was always excited to learn. This translated into him getting the best results on his tests. I have tried to incorporate this into my approach to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the point that you make when you explain that you aren’t inherently terrible at anything because with practice that skill will grow. I think this is something a lot of people have a hard time believing, most likely because they grew up in an environment in which mistakes are seen as failures rather than learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete